Wednesday, June 10, 2009

After 18 years

Time just flies and it was just like yesterday that I joined my company. But as the saying goes, "All good things must come to an end", so my marriage with my company has come to the end of the road. Well don't get me wrong, the rule applies to other stuff besides marriage (I am happily married for the past 25 years).

I was very reluctant to hand over my resignation but with the change of management in my company and the shift from our core competency, I think it was time for me to move along. Like what M. K. Gandhi had said, "If you can't change the World, then you have to change yourself". So why should I go against the flow, best thing that I can do is look for another river.

In this modern day, loyalty does not exist and I know how hard I worked making money for the company and had completed some of the prestigious projects for them and in the end it all boils down to dollar and cents. Maybe they feel that I am a liability as over the years I have worked myself to the current position and also have accumulated a fat pay. Now with the economic downturn, I guess they can get a couple of fresh Engineers for my pay.

So I part the company with 18 years of experience and in terms of monetary loss for them based on the information that I had gained over the years is very difficult to quantify, as when I leave them to join another company, it would be my final goodbye.

And the best part of my resignation is that, I can say that I am still marketable and there are company's that even in bad times, have to recruit senior staff and what a relief it was for me, now that I have joined a company that does work which suits my experience and my options are open now and I am not tied to anyone or company.

5 comments:

Sucharita Sarkar said...

At least you can look back at the good times you had at your company during the past 18 years. Also, I am sure your collegues will remember you with respect and affection.

Sucharita Sarkar said...

At least you can look back at the good times you had at your company during the past 18 years. Also, I am sure your collegues will remember you with respect and affection.

Sukku said...

Well they do but not the management. Anyway I am stating work with my new company on 16.06.09 and my last day with the present company is 15.06.09.

Aleta said...

You know in your heart that this is what needed to be done, otherwise you wouldn't have taken on this road. It's never easy to say goodbye, even if there are issues with mangement, because beyond management there were things to appreciate. Yet you saw the time and place to make the change and did it. That deserves respect, because so many people wouldn't take the chance. I send you positive thoughts for your job!

Sukku said...

Aleta thank you so much on your positive wishes...yes you are right...I have embarked on the Road Less Taken...getting away from my comfort zone...let's see what life has in store for me...